Purple Certificate Program
|Purpose:||The mainstreaming of gender equality awareness within the education system|
|Grant Amount:||821,874 TL|
|Period:||March 2018 - February 2019|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Purple Certificate Program, emerged in 2007 as part of the United Nations Joint Program, and has been carried out until 2016 as a one-week education program aiming to increase gender awareness in the education system through high school teachers. Aside from this intensive education program taking place at Sabancı University’s campus in Istanbul, workshops aiming to increase gender awareness were conducted in pilot cities.
The activities carried out with high school teachers for nine years have shown a need for implementing the program at different levels of the education system. For this reason, in 2016, the content and scope of the Purple Certificate Program has been expanded to include stakeholders at different levels (primary, secondary and high school) of the education system.
The Purple Certificate Program, in its expanded form, aims to contribute to the elimination of gender-based discrimination within the education system through high school teachers and faculty of education students. In this context, the Program works with teachers and prospective teachers in different cities of Turkey with the purpose of increasing gender awareness and equality in schools, classroom settings, classroom practices and teaching materials.
The Purple Certificate Program has carried out activities in five main areas in the 2018-2019 period:
(1) Developing gender sensitive material with high school teachers and specialized expert academics – Purple File
(2) Dissemination activities in Ankara, İstanbul and İzmir to increase the impact area of the Purple Certificate Program and conducting Alumni Meetings to revitalize teachers in former Purple Certificate cities
(3) The Gender Certificate Program for Non-Governmental Organizations
(4) Gender Awareness Certificate Program and Summer School for Faculty of Education Students (in partnership with the İstanbul Bilgi University Center for Sociology and Education Studies – SEÇBİR)
(5) Gender Awareness Activities for University Students and Primary and Secondary School Students: “Gender Workshop with Games” (in partnership with İstanbul Bilgi University Child Studies Unit – ÇOÇA)
- To increase the awareness of teachers and prospective teachers about gender equality,
- To ensure that teachers and prospective teachers develop skills in mainstreaming gender equality within the education system and class practices,
- To provide teachers and prospective teachers with the skills to develop and implement gender focused projects,
- To provide teachers with the skills to develop lesson plans and materials sensitive to gender equality,
- To develop gender equality awareness in primary and secondary school students.