Purple Certificate Program
|Grantee:||Sabancı University Gender and Women’s Studies Center of Excellence|
|Purpose:||The mainstreaming of gender equality awareness within the education system|
|Grant Amount:||891,372 TL|
|Period:||April 2019 – March 2020|
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Purple Certificate Program, emerged in 2007 as part of the United Nations Joint Program, and has been carried out until 2016 as a one-week education program aiming to increase gender awareness in the education system through high school teachers. Aside from this intensive education program taking place at Sabancı University’s campus in Istanbul, workshops aiming to increase gender awareness were conducted in pilot cities.
The activities carried out with high school teachers for nine years have shown a need for implementing the program at different levels of the education system. For this reason, in 2016, the content and scope of the Purple Certificate Program has been expanded to include stakeholders at different levels (primary, secondary and high school) of the education system.
The Purple Certificate Program, in its expanded form, aims to contribute to the elimination of gender-based discrimination within the education system through high school teachers and faculty of education students. In this context, the Program works with teachers and prospective teachers in different cities of Turkey with the purpose of increasing gender awareness and equality in schools, classroom settings, classroom practices and teaching materials.
The Purple Certificate Program has carried out activities in four main areas in the 2019-2020 period:
(1) Developing gender sensitive material with high school teachers and specialized expert academics – Purple File
(2) One-week long Gender Equality Certificate Program in Sabancı University for high school teachers
(3) The Gender Certificate Program for Civil Society Organizations
(4) Gender Awareness Certificate Program and Summer School for Faculty of Education Students
- To increase the awareness of teachers and prospective teachers about gender equality,
- To ensure that teachers and prospective teachers develop skills in mainstreaming gender equality within the education system and class practices,
- To provide teachers and prospective teachers with the skills to develop and implement gender focused projects,
- To provide teachers with the skills to develop lesson plans and materials sensitive to gender equality,