The United Nations Joint Programme (UNJP) organized an essay contest on the theme of "Women-Friendly Cities." The contest was open to high school and equivalent degree students in six pilot provinces, Izmir, Kars, Nevsehir, Sanliurfa, Trabzon and Van, where the United Nations Joint Programme to Protect and Promote the Human Rights of Women and Girls is being carried out.
Thousands of booklets were distributed to students, and bills were posted in schools for the essay contest, announced by the local government officials on 8 March, International Women's Day.
Students were asked to write essays on the theme of "Women-friendly Cities" in a maximum of three A4 pages and submit their work for the contest. Essays were to be submitted to school principals by 13 April, and were evaluated by juries formed exclusively in each province. Three essays from each province were selected. The top winner was rewarded with a desktop computer, while the runners up received a camera and an MP3 player, respectively.
Winners of the short-essay contest were delivered in a ceremony in Ankara on 11 May 2007. Essay competition on Women Friendly Cities’ evaluations was held individually in each province, and the winners for three essays from each province are rewarded.
Winners of Essay Competition
1. Ucuyorum Ne GUzel - Nurhak GUrbUzer
2. Hayaller Gercek Olsa - Hafize Bilge Eren
3. Cagdaslik ve Kadin - Hasan Tuncel
1. Iste Biz... Bizim Hikayemiz - Zehra Bahar Gey
2. Dunyamizin Mimarlari - Meryem Uludag
3. Kadinlar da Nefes Alsin - Ali Murat Kesemen
1. Kadin mi? O da Ne? - Zeynep Mine Gundogan
2. Ben Kadinim - Irem Altunok
3. Umuda Yelken Acmak Zamani - Kubra Baytal
1. Kentte Bir Kadin Olmak - Meryem Salvaci
2. Dogdugumuz Icin Sucluymusuz - Emine Akagunduz
3. Kadinin Adi Yok Bu Sehirde - Hayrunnisa Cinar
1. Bir Damla Kadin, Bir Damla Esitlik - Melek Ayyildiz
2. Arnavut Kaldirimlari, Istiridye ve Kadin - Kubra Pektas
3. Kadin Dostu Kent - Aysegul Ak
1. Sehir ve Kadin - Serife Demir
2. Umut Cicekleri - Sennur Ebinc
3. Bir Kent Istiyorum, Benim de Yasadigim - Aysel Danis