Vakifli Village Cooperative (Season 04 - Episode 15)
Increase font size Decrease font size
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Women Develop The Only Armenian Village In Turkey

 

Sabanci Foundation Turkey’s Changemakers Program continues to share the unique stories of extraordinary people who contribute to the social development.

 

This week’s Changemaker is the Women Branch of Vakifli Village Cooperative which was founded in order to provide solidarity in Turkey’s only remaining Armenian village, the population and income of which had been decreasing.

 

Vakifli Village Cooperative was founded in 2004. With the foundation of the Women Branch in 2005, the cooperative started to become more active. The Women Branch, which started with 5 female members, now boasts 27 female members. Home-made jam, laurel soap, fruit juice, laurel oil, pomegranate syrup and 17 kinds of liquors are sold in the garden of the church, in the tea house and in their small branch in Kurtulus, Istanbul. While the producers receive 80% of the sales revenue, the remaining 20% is contributed to the cooperative. In April and May, when the tourism season kicks off, the income of a woman working for the Vakifli Village Cooperative may go up to one thousand TL. 

Memberships | FAQ | Press | Multimedia Gallery | Logo | Sitemap | Contact
"Law on Protection of Personal Data" Information Note
Sabancı Vakfı - All rights reserved.   Sabancı Vakfı Facebook Sayfası   Sabancı Vakfı Twitter Sayfası